March 12, 2015
Welcome to Founders Weekly, a selection of the best content focused on startups and growth hacking we’ve read this week.
• Pioneering tech blog Gigaom shuts down after running out of money; Apart from Apple launching new goodies, the biggest news in the tech world this week was GigaOm shutting down.
• Why This Tech Bubble is Worse Than the Tech Bubble of 2000; A must-read piece by Mark Cuban covering why there is no liquidity in tech investments.
• A Founder’s Guide to M&A; 90% of tech exits in the last 5 years are via an acquisition. Josh Kopelman of First Round Capital shares an in-depth piece for founders.
• Trends In The Startup Acquihire Market; Keeping on M&A, Tomasz Tunguz at Redpoint Ventures uses CrunchBase data to look at acquihires in US tech companies.
• Grabbing a seat on a rocket ship; Kyle Tibbitts writes about his decision to join startup HotelTonight.
• Finding an Investor Who is in Love with You; Mark Suster explains what to look for in an investor.
• Fundraising Mistakes Founders Make; A year old but still relevant – Sam Altman of Y Combinator explains the major fundraising mistakes founders make when raising funding.
• Lessons from Launching a Data Product; A great essay on how the folks at SocialRank designed and launched their product.
• Here’s the roadmap you need to create for your startup; Jason Calacanis share’s his roadmap for Inside you can also use.
• Infographic: How Often Should You Post on Social Media? Buffer shares research and tips.
• Etsy vs. Shopify; Miles Grimshaw from Thrive Capital compares Etsy vs. Shopify’s year-over-year GMV growth.
• How to Gather 100,000 Emails in One Week; Harry’s founder explains the pre-launch strategy they used.
• Growth Hacker is the new VP of Marketing; Andrew Chen uses the Airbnb story to explain how growth hacking is changing the way startups get users.
• 8 SaaS Content Marketing Mistakes to Stop Making in 2015; Gregory Ciotti, content strategist at HelpScout, offers some great content marketing advice for SaaS startups.
• The surprising Secret About SME’s Churn; Armando Biondi, founder of Adespresso talks about SaaS churn.
• 5 Things We Learned From Analyzing 100+ Million Emails; The Vero team analyzed data from the millions of emails sent from their service and discovered some interesting insights.
• Getting Sales Right; A great a16z podcast episode with Peter Levine and Dan Shapero covering sales efforts.