Founders Grid #56
• Don’t Congratulate Me For Writing A Check
Steve Schlafman at RRE Ventures reminds us that “the magic in business isn’t raising money but making money”, as quoted by Mark Cuban.
• A Counterintuitive System for Startup Compensation
An in-depth guide from FirstRound on how Facebook compensates their employees.
• The Main Reason Startups Don’t Last
Solid wisdom from Nathan Resnick, founder of YesManWatches, on why the main reason businesses don’t last is because they fail to innovate.
• Singapore Rising: The Plot to Be the Next Big Tech Hub
A great read on the Singapore startup scene by Liz Gannes at Re/code.
• This is where the Cambodian startup ecosystem is in 2015
Keeping with emerging startup ecosystems in Asia, Tech in Asia has a great read on what’s happening in Cambodia.
• How to Raise Money through AngelList Syndicates
A video presentation recorded at Boulder Startup Week with Ramen’s CEO, Ryan Angilly, discussing his journey raising money through AngelList Syndicates.
• How to Lose Money on Paid Marketing
A great guide from Jamie Quint on paid marketing covering the different attribution models needed for calculating customer acquisition costs.
• Copywriting is interface design
Thomas Byttebier provides us a great reminder that copywriting is an often overlooked (but vital) aspect of UI design.
• What would we do if we had an answer to that question?
Great wisdom from Cindy Alvarez on challenging questions before we start asking them.
• Podcast is the New Blog
500 Startups expresses their take on tapping into this under leveraged distribution channel.
• SaaS Pricing: Our Big Free Plan Mistake
An interesting perspective from Hubstaff on how free plans are not always a competitive advantage for SaaS startups.
• Resources on Product Design
From copywriting to development to interaction design, Pedro Carmo has put together an impressive list of resources focused on product design.
• How DuckDuckGo rode a wave of post-Snowden anxiety to massive growth
Fast Company’s John Paul Titlow reports on DuckDuckGo’s growth two years after the NSA surveillance story broke.
• Ten Years of Automattic
10 years in open source. And successful. A remarkable feat for Matt and the Automattic team.
• How Has Product Hunt Become Such a Critical Startup Website?
A good video conversation with Mark Suster and Product Hunt’s founder Ryan Hoover discussing product, funding and more.
• UI Design Dos and Don’ts
A guide published by Apple. A useful read for designers and non-designers alike.
• A Proportional Visualization of the World’s Most Popular Languages
There are at least 7102 known languages alive in the world today. See the top 23 visualised here.
• 8 Things Every Person Should Do Before 8 A.M.
Published: 24 June, 2015